Monday 12 March 2012

Series 16, Episode 16 Review: Whiff's Wish

Ever Since I read about this episode, I knew it was going to be very poor. I myself, don’t have anything against Whiff, especially since he’s been given a lot more attention than most of HiT’s characters, but this story was just had him as Engine X, in a scrip that was sooooooooooooo copy and paste, for you could make out all the pieces that had been taken out of previous episodes, Engine X wants to be like Engine Y, Engine X thinks other engines’ loads are more grand/special special/whatever, so takes charge of three other trains, realises his folly, takes all the trains to where they need to go, and the episode ends with Engine X thinking better of himself, and not caring what Engine Y says about him.  The only highlight in the writing of today’s episode was for the first time since Series 5, we heard the words ‘Flying Kipper’ being said, I’m sure all fans were thrilled to hear the name of Sodor’s flagship fish train after all these years since the show’s heyday, but when hearing it being said, it just makes you realise how much the Thomas series has drifted away from its roots.
But the CGI was, yes, you guessed it, to its normal brilliant standard, and so was the voice acting, in fact, are we seeing another side of Spencer in Matt Wilkinson’s performance? Spencer sounded quite laid back in today’s episode and it adds to his character. I think all the voice actors are giving it their best, and I hope nothing happens to them in all the big chances next year.
And so, that’s the end of my review of Whiff’s Wish, it wasn’t the worst ever, but still very, very bad. It was nice Whiff got an episode to himself, I don’t know whether or not he’s acting out of character, for  I always thought he loved being the rubbish engine more than anything else,  but it shouldn’t be surprising that HiT can’t ever keep up the continuity of their own characters.
Thanks for reading,
Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment